View Report Details
Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and Food Hygiene Information Scheme – Display of ratings and inspection results at food business premises in England, Northern Ireland and Scotland
Project Code: FS244011A
GfK NOP Social Research
Gibbens, S ; Young, V
Key audit results
– 43%% of businesses were displaying their FHRS rating (32% visible from outside);
– 12% of the businesses in the sample with a rating of 0, 1 or 2 were displaying this at their premises. This compared to 56% of the businesses with a rating of 4 or 5.
• Northern Ireland:
– 50% in businesses were displaying their FHRS rating from outside (38% visible from outside);
– 22% of the businesses in the sample with a rating of 0, 1 or 2 were displaying this at their premises. This compared to 57% of the businesses with a rating of 4 or 5.
– 47% of businesses were displaying their FHIS ‘Pass’ inspection result (16% visible from outside).
Key telephone survey results
Reasons for display
Businesses that reported displaying their FHRS rating/FHIS inspection result were asked why they chose to display:
Customers being able to see that their premises were hygienic was the most commonly reported reason for displaying FHRS ratings/FHIS inspection results (England 67%, Northern Ireland 70% and Scotland 68% of businesses that reported display).
Reasons for non-display
Businesses that reported not displaying their ratings/inspection results were asked why they chose not to display.
A number of different reasons were given for non-display. These included:
- Don’t have to/not compulsory
- Do not agree with rating/unfair
- Doesn’t suit surroundings
- Not relevant to our businesses
- Poor/low rating/inspection result
- Didn’t know we should; and
- Company policy not to.
Motivations to display
Businesses that reported that they were not currently displaying a rating or inspection result were asked what would motivate them to display. Reported reasons included:
- Nothing would encourage me;
- A better rating;
- If it was compulsory;
- If it was issued in a different format; and
- If customers asked to see it.
Some of the files on this site may be in a format that your computer can't read. However, you can download Readers and Viewers for the following document types below: