View Report Details
Investigation of the nature and extent of biodegradable polymers in direct food contact applications
Project Code: a03040
Food and Environment Research Agency, Sand Hutton, York YO41 1LZ
This project addressed the identification of possible migrants and any testing
requirements for biodegradable food contact polymers. This was achieved via a group
of 6 linked objectives, which were:
• Gather information on the chemical composition of biodegradable polymers
intended for food contact.
• Gather information on the conditions of use including the type of foods
packaged along with the contact conditions of time and temperature.
• Make estimates of the amount of biodegradable polymers used in the UK per
• Evaluate the migration potential from biodegradables given their composition
and conditions of use.
• Evaluate the suitability of standard migration test protocols, for example from
the sectors of paper and plastics, for use to test biodegradables.
• Make final report on the information gathering exercise along with
recommendations for further work, including experimental work, if any is required.
Some of the files on this site may be in a format that your computer can't read. However, you can download Readers and Viewers for the following document types below: